OK, are you ready? Then let's start blogging.
With the perfect name for your blog, and your shiny new Gravatar in tow, the time has come to choose a theme. I suggest that you use these factors to help decide how-to pick a blog theme.
- Color – this will set the mood or tone at your new spot
- Layout – determines the number of columns, size of the header, placement of sidebars and widgets
- Font size – helps improve readability of your content by you're readers
- Functionality – impacts how readers navigate through your content
- Aesthetics – basically what I'm trying to say is – Do you like looking at it?
“present as many perfect-fit WordPress themes to as many WordPress.com users as we can.”
The Theme Team is also responsible for creating the Twenty Ten default theme which is included in the core of self-hosted WordPress 3.0 (code name Thelonious). This theme focuses on many of the things I mentioned earlier including customization of layouts and improved readability. Drop down menus are also incorporated with Twenty Ten as with every other new theme introduced by the team.
I like this example of Modularity Lite because it demonstrates how a light font and a dark background can work well together in combination with the appropriate size and style of font.
The WordPress.com dashboard allows you to try-themes-on-for-size before committing to them. From the Worpress.com dashboard go to Appearance > Themes > Feature Filters to locate themes in the library based on: colors, columns, width and features (like custom headers and backgrounds).
Preview a few themes on your blog and I'm sure you'll find some to suit your impeccable taste. I wanted a 3 column theme for Ms. Ileane Speaks but if I change my mind, it's good to know that there are so many options to choose from and they are super easy to change out.
How about you, what do look for in a theme?
Related articles by Zemanta
- Ma.tt Themes Released – Matt Mullenweg (ma.tt)
- Top 10 Things on My Blog Theme Wishlist (blazingminds.co.uk)
- Bloggers, Zemanta Is Not Some Exotic Beauty (basicblogtips.com)
- BloggerLuv, CommentLuv and Secret Blog Club (bloggerluv.com)