If you signed up for a YouTube account but you haven't figured out what to do with it, here's your answer – start promoting your content! I know, I know…you have a list of excuses for why you didn't make a video yet, but I'm prepared to address each one of your fears so you can get started with promoting your blog, your website and even your ebooks on YouTube!
Excuses For Not Using YouTube
- I don't look good on camera
- I don't have a webcam (use my affiliate link to get the webcam I use)
- I don't know how to make a video
- I don't speak English clearly
My Response To Your Excuses
- You don't need to get in front of the camera (see #2 below)
- You don't need a webcam you can use free screen capture software like Screenr or Screencast-o-matic
- You can watch my Screenr tutorial and all you need to do is push the record button
- You can use a website like XtraNormal they say “if you can type you can make movies” and they do all the talking for you
Take my course for more tips on video marketing!
Build Links with YouTube
Now that all your excuses are out of the way, let's get started (if you have more excuses, leave a comment and I'll add it to the list along with my response). Here's a great example from one of my favorite YouTube superstars SoldierKnowsBest.
Mark (that's his real name) has links to his affiliate products and his smart phone apps, not to mention over 66,000 views in just under one week! Let's look at another example. Have you ever checked out DeStorm? He's the man on YouTube!
DeStorm has links to his products and his Facebook page too and if you were impressed with 66,000 views in a week, what do you have to say about 195,000 views in a week? Notice that he also used a cool annotation feature in the top right hand side of the video to link to another YouTube video he wants you to watch. I like how he added some other call-outs for his social networks like Twitter and Facebook.
I'm not trying to convince you that you can become a YouTube star like DeStorm or SoldierKnowsBest, I just want to you see how you should use YouTube to promote your blog, your business and yes even your products by adding links to your descriptions. Don't worry about dofollow or nofollow, just be sure to add links in your description. Don't get carried away, but at least link to your blog, Twitter and Facebook.
UPDATE: I put all of my SEO Tips for YouTube into an episode on my podcast. You can listen to The Ultimate Video YouTube SEO Checklist here
Get started with YouTube
YouTube is a great way to expand your audience and build your authority. You don't have to be a professional to upload videos, all you need to do is get started. I put together a playlist of videos that I recorded called YouTube Training Tutorials. There are several videos in the playlist that show you How To Optimize Your YouTube Channel and Market Your Videos on YouTube.
- Follow These Ten Blogs to Improve Your YouTube Results
- Driving Traffic with YouTube
- YouTube Strategies 2014: Making And Marketing Online Video