YouTube Broadcast Yourself
Posting videos on YouTube is seen by video podcasters as the ultimate weapon in their social media arsenal. Google owned YouTube leads the ranks of online video content providers and currently serves a previously unsurpassed 12 billion views a month. When I created my YouTube account, naturally my first instinct was to connect and enable autosharing with my Twitter account. After all I’m a confessed Twitter addict, so why wouldn’t I want to Tweet my uploads as they go live? Soon I realized that I was Tweeting all of my YouTube activity, not just my uploads. Personally, I’m more of a “techie tweeter” and I don’t think my followers are interested in knowing each time I “like” one of the 110 (I’m exagerating) adorable videos of Sweet Baby Kassie uploaded by my bff @JustKissie.
YouTube Activity Sharing Settings
If you’re like me and want to have more control over what’s being shared from YouTube on Twitter, FaceBook, Google Reader and maybe even one day Google Plus, you should tweak your YouTube Account settings.
Here’s how-to get it done UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2012:
- Remember to login to YouTube in order to locate the account settings menu
- At the top right use the pull down menu next to your user name
- Select Account
- From the menu on the left select Account Settings
- Un-check your options for Sharing
The Activity Sharing menu has several options for YouTube activity that you wish to share or not. The image reveals my current settings but of course the “control” decision is yours. Now that you know how to update your setting you can always come back and adjust them when necessary, just be sure to click Save Changes.
Remember the Activity Sharing setting don’t prevent you from sharing your uploaded content directly from the video’s webpage, and it only takes a few seconds. Take advantage of this tip and consider it just one of many online reputation management tools.
Let me know if this tip is helpful to you or if you have a tip you would like to share.
Related articles by Zemanta
- YouTube Launches Twitter-Like Channel Bulletins (readwriteweb.com)
- Take Your Small Biz Videos to the Next Level with Viewbix (basicblogtips.com)
- Track YouTube Traffic and Social Engagement with YouTube Analytics (basicblogtips.com)
- YouTube Advertising Formats: The Essential Guide (basicblogtips.com)