YouTube Broadcast Yourself
Posting videos on YouTube is seen by online marketers as the ultimate weapon in their social media arsenal. Google owned YouTube leads the ranks of online video content providers and currently serves a previously unsurpassed 12 billion views a month. When I created my YouTube account, naturally my first instinct was to connect and enable autosharing of my YouTube activity on my Twitter account.
After all I’m a confessed Twitter addict, so why wouldn’t I want to Tweet my uploads as they go live? Soon I realized that I was Tweeting all of my YouTube activity, not just my uploads.
Personally, I’m more of a “techie tweeter” and I don’t think my followers are interested in knowing each time I “like” one of the 110 (I’m exaggerating) adorable videos of Sweet Baby Kassie uploaded by my bff @JustKissie.
YouTube Activity Sharing Settings
If you’re like me and you want to have more control over what’s being shared from YouTube on Twitter, FaceBook,
Google Reader and maybe even Google Plus, you should tweak your YouTube Account settings.
Here’s how-to get it done UPDATED JULY 2013:
- Remember to login to YouTube and go to the VIDEO MANAGER
- At the top right use the pull down menu next to your user name
- Select YouTube Settings
- From the menu on the left select Connected Accounts
- Un-check any activity that you don’t want to share
The Connected Accounts menu has several options for YouTube activity that you wish to share or not. For example you can decide to share or not share when you:
- Upload a video
- Add video to public playlist
- Comment on a video
- Like a Video
The image reveals my current settings but of course the “control” decision is yours. Now that you know how to update your settings you can always come back and adjust them when necessary, just be sure to click Save Changes.
Remember the Activity Sharing setting don’t prevent you from sharing your uploaded content directly from the video’s webpage, and it only takes a few seconds. Take advantage of this tip and consider it just one of many online reputation management tools.
Let me know if this tip is helpful to you or if you have a tip you would like to share.
Related articles about YouTube Activity
- Take Your Small Biz Videos to the Next Level with Viewbix
- Track YouTube Traffic and Social Engagement with YouTube Analytics
- YouTube Advertising Formats: The Essential Guide
- Now That You Started Making Videos Here’s How to Get More Views on YouTube